Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 05:31:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Rich Winkel <rich@pencil.math.missouri.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIGSEGV under FBSD 4.1-release with compat 3.x

Rich Winkel wrote:
> According to Nate Williams:
> > > Hi, I'm having problems with jdk-1.1.8 under 4.1-R with the compat
> > > 3.x libraries installed.  Whatever I try, I get:
> > >
> > > SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
> >
> > This is almost always because the compat libraries aren't really
> > installed, but are symlinks to the newer libraries.  Are you
> > *absolutely* sure the libraries are correctly installed?
>
> Thanks for the reply!
>
> I ran "find . -type l -print" under /usr/lib/compat and found only two:
> ./aout/libcrypt.so.2.0
> ./aout/libtermlib.so.2.1

Ok, well what you are looking for is /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3.  Here is the
information from my 4.1-R system with the 3.x compat libraries installed:

> ls -l /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  520040 Jul 28 22:34 /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3
> md5 /usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3
MD5 (/usr/lib/compat/libc.so.3) = a1fb1ba200942ff34a90e9cbb4c84c80

If those pieces of information are different to that on your system then
that may be the cause of your problem.  JDK 1.1.8 does work ok for me.

> Just to be sure I ran /stand/sysinstall and
> installed the compat3.x libraries from the 4.1 CD, and rebooted.
> Still the same problem.

That is odd, I installed off the cdrom too.

> Is anyone else running java under 4.1R?

Yep, multiple versions even :).

					- Greg