Date:      Thu, 12 Jun 1997 20:14:34 -0500
From:      Tom Jackson <toj@gorilla.net>
To:        Dan Riley <daniel@vailsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NT4 ISP

On Thu, Jun 12, 1997 at 08:40:48AM -0500, Dan Riley wrote:

> Tom,
>
> I noticed in a few of the archives from the mail lists that you once
> struggled with ppp to your NT4 ISP.
>
> Do you have working ppp now to a NT RAS server and if you do would you
> be willing to share the magic in making it work? Either mode of ppp at
> this point would be of great benefit to me.
>
> TIA
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan Riley

A few points; most NT servers have pap authenication and no login/passwd
procedure, hence you see the set auth... business while no login etc.

I have dynamic assigned address. My /etc/hosts file has only the loopback
address, 127.0.0.1, and nothing else (I have no ethernet card). If I use
anything there with my hostname, my isp will try to use that address and
the connection will fail. This is something I wish somebody would clearup.
The "pedamic ppp guide" in /usr/share/doc appears to not agree on this
point.

The two files:

# ppp.conf
default:
	set device /dev/cuaa1
	set speed 57600
	disable pred1
	deny pred1
	disable lqr
	deny lqr
	set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" ATE1Q0 OK-AT-OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
	set redial 3 3
gorilla:
	set phone 2506824
	deny chap