Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2019 01:09:16 -0700
From:      christian russell <christian.baltini@gmail.com>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eliminating IPv6 (?)

My opinion is that being able to practically ignore IPv6, without =
operational detraction, is a reasonable degree of freedom.  FreeBSD =
isn=E2=80=99t pushing IPv6 any more or less than any other mainstream =
OSes.

Given a set number of developer hours I would prefer that IPv6 be fully =
implemented and functionally "ignorable" as opposed to dev time being =
spent allowing an essentially cosmetic opting out of IPv6 functionality. =
 Even more generally I would prefer any dev time time be spent on active =
issues and new features.

> I ask again, is this really such an unreasonable thing to hope for?

If I were allocating work-hours on FreeBSD development my answer would =
be:  =E2=80=9Cyup"  =C2=AF\_(=E3=83=84)_/=C2=AF

Christian

<rfg@tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>=20
> In message <d6a5d6b8-1630-3095-dd0b-22b49213176e@grosbein.net>,=20
> Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net> wrote:
>=20
>> 18.06.2019 10:10, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>>=20
>>> How can I turn off IPv6 entirely without rebuilding the kernel?
>>=20
>> You cannot. GENERIC kernel specifically enables IPv6 support and you =
need to
>> disable it at compile time.
>> And if you do, you better rebuild the world too using =
WITHOUT_INET6=3Dyes in the
> [...]
both the
> presence of, and the desirability of IPv6 support.  And unless one =
edits that
> file manually... which I have been effectively forced to do... there =
is no way
> to get it to simply NOT create and install multiple IPv6-related ipfw =
rules,
> EVEN THOUGH in my particular situation... which is still the most =
common case...
> those extra and entirely superfluous IPv6 ipfw filtering rules are =
serving
> no earthly purpose whatsoever and are only cluttering up my ipfw rule =
set,
> thus pointlessly making it harder for me to grok and maintain them =
all.
>=20
> Clearly, if doesn't have to be this way.  Some maintainers just =
decided that
> I and all other IPv4-only users should get stuck dealing with a lot of =
useless,
> unnecessary and distracting IPv6 stuff, whether I like it or not, and =
presumably
> for our own good.
>=20
> I really wish that maintainers would allow me a bit more freedom, and =
show
> me the courtesy and respect to allow me to decide for myself what is =
and what
> isn't "for my own good".
>=20
> I can and will most certainly get down and grovel around in the =
various
> /etc/rc.d/ scripts and will comment out those parts that do things =
like
> ifconfig'ing my loopback interface for IPv6, whether I like it or not.
> But there ought to be some single /etc/rc.conf variable via which one =
could
> simply select the "No, I don't want to have to deal with IPv6 at all =
right
> now" option.
>=20
> Is that really an unreasonable hope, expectation, and request?
>=20
> I understand that the kernel will still -offer- the IPv6 support. But =
if no
> -other- software on my system actually takes the kernel up on that =
offer,
> then the kernel's IPv6 support becomes like the tree that falls in the
> forrest when there is nobody around to hear it.  It might as well be =
said
> that it makes no sound, and no difference to anything at all.
>=20
> It is clearly not necessary for me or anyone else to have to rebuild =
the
> kernel... *and* world... just in order to get rid of what are, for the
> majority of users here in 2019, still a bunch of utterly superfluous =
IPv6
> "features" that (a) do not help us one iota and that (b) are all just =
> big and pointless distraction that muddles everything and =
unnecessarily
> complicates and complexifies ordinary system maintenance tasks.
>=20
> IPv6 is great and I'm sure I'll be using it someday.  But today is not =
that
> day... not for me, and also not for one hell of a lot of other users.  =
The