Date:      Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:41:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <john@brann.org>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   booting freebsd without a floppy or CD

Hi,

I have access to an old alpha workstation (a 266, I think) which I'd like
to try FreeBSD on.

uname -mrsv shows:

OSF1 V3.2 41 alpha

The machine has no floppy drive, and its CD seems not to be working
(attempts to mount a CD are greeted with I/O errors).

I read recently a trick for booting from the swap partition, so I downloaded
the boot.flp image, shut down to single user mode, dd'd the floppy into the
swap partition.  I then rebooted and resirected the boot to the swap partition
by specifying the device node name.

The message I got was 'Invalid a.out image'  (I'm paraphrasing)

That made me think that the boot loader could only load an a.out kernel,
and that I'm stuck.

Any other ideas, or is anything obviously wrong here?

John

Please cc me, I'm not on the alpha list.

--
        Unreal City,
     Under the brown fog of a winter dawn,

finger john@doorman.brann.org for pgp public key