Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2007 21:19:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Kopp <kopp.robert@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   My Experience with Raaf's Patches

At the time I purchased a Logitech Quickcam 3000 several years ago, I did not imagine using it with FreeBSD, although I do now.  Raaf's patch for mpeg4ip was successfully applied, and I began making video clips of my cockatiel. Sound pickup is not successful, but this could be an inherent problem with snd_ich, which my onboard sound chip uses.

I did not obtain similar results with vlc, using the patch most recently made available:

freebsd# cd /usr/ports/multimedia/vlc
freebsd# make install clean
===>  Patching for vlc-0.8.6.c_5,2
===>   vlc-0.8.6.c_5,2 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/perl5.8.8 - found
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for vlc-0.8.6.c_5,2
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
5 out of 5 hunks ignored--saving rejects to configure.rej
=> Patch patch-configure failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

The functions of vlc overlap considerably with those of mpeg4ip, of course. Nevertheless, I would like to try all of the patched applications, for they extend FreeBSD's functionality into areas previously beyond reach. (Can anyone tell from the above output why the compilation of vlc was unsuccessful?)

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/