Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:17:21 +0700 (ICT)
From:      Olivier Nicole <on@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        teklimbu@wlink.com.np
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to re-generate the passwords in /etc/passwd

> Due to some security purposes, I need to re-generate all the passwords
> for my users from the file /etc/passwd.

I use the following script to generate passwords:

   http://www.cs.ait.ac.th/cgi-bin/phi-soft/gen-multipasswd

I could send it to you as Perl script, so you could generate 500
passwords in one run, or you call the web page enough number of times.

The password is generated as a psuedo Markov chain on probability
based on some pieces of English text (FreeBSD man pages). It adds at
least 2 numbers, one non alpha-numerical sign and turns some letters
into uppercase.

At first the passwords were very English like "words", now it is more
confusing.

non-alpha-numerical characters are choosen to avoid conflicts with the
softwares I am using it: samba, FreeBSD login, MySQL...

Best regards,

Olivier