Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 01:42:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world problem

> > > If there is an issue here, I think it is that yacc is not built early
> > > in a make world line make itself is. A second issue is that the make
> > > world should check the kernel version so that a build on 2.2.5, for
> > > example, can build the extra tools early on without penalizing everyone
> > > with later systems.
> >
> > You mean... actually implement the dependencies make is capable of
> > supporting?
>
> How can make "know" that a tool like yacc has an extra argument in 3.0
> that if didn't have in 2.2.5 ? AFAIK, you have to code this in a Makefile
> somewhere.

It can't.  So you shouldn't depend on yacc taking an extra argument.  8-).

> All I am suggesting is that src/Makefile should to a 'uname -r' and
> build a few extra programs (make, yacc, ld) early depending on
> 2.2.5-RELEASE, 2.2.6-STABLE or 3.0-CURRENT.

An argument dependency is a relatively stick wicket.  It is best to
stay away from them.

For this specific example, this would mean that, even though yacc can
take a "-o", the FreeBSD build process should not depend upon there
being a yacc that can take a "-o" installed.

Alternately, the .mk should test for Yacc's capability before
depending on it.

Either way, you end up with a makefile that doesn't need "-o" as an
argument to yacc, and a more complicated makefile that takes more time
to run in the case that you want-to-use-but-can't-depend-upon a "-o".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.