Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 19:01:59 -0500
From:      Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
To:        "Juha Saarinen" <juha@saarinen.org>, "Stephan van Beerschoten" <stephanb@whacky.net>, "Mike Tancsa" <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        "Holtor" <holtor@yahoo.com>, <FreeBSD-Stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Recent fxp Driver Changes

On Thursday 17 May 2001 06:11 pm, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> :: To avoid the error which I made, i.e. losing my recent -STABLE kernel,
> :: before you do your buildkernel, copy your present /kernel to
> :: /kernel.good.
>
> make installkernel makes a back-up of the existing kernel, before
> installing the new one.
>
> :: Delay making installworld until you have rebooted with the new kernel
> :: and checked your networking ability.  Only then run make installworld,
> :: etc.
>
> Hmmm... won't that mean your world and kernel are out of synch, which
> might cause further issues?
>
> -- Juha

Unfortunately, after you make two kernel installs, your original and good
-STABLE kernel is gone.  I had to rebuild the kernel 4 or 5 times before
the cvsup repository contained the correct sources.

If your backup kernel is sufficiently recent, out-of-sync problems are
minimal, as it was in my case.  My kernel.GENERIC was from 4.3RC2, which
was recent enough that I was able to get the NIC to work well enough to do
several cvsup's to finally get the correct sources.

My advice is from personal experience and it stands.