Date:      Fri,  6 Aug 1999 09:29:32 -0400
From:      Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>
To:        dg@root.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT RAID I2O Card driver

In article <<199908052113.OAA05828@implode.root.com>, you wrote:

>><<nofill>I have a preliminary SCSI driver for the following series of DPT

>>`I2O' controller cards and FreeBSD 2.2.X:

>>	PM1554

>>	PM2554

>>	PM3754

>>	PM3755

>>This driver has passthrough (a CLI based configuration tool runs

>>with it native on FreeBSD 2.2.8 at least). The driver has *no* timeout

>>handling, for example, so it's not full production yet, but it was based

>>on the released BSDi BSD/OS 4.0.1 DPT driver, so it should have

>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>   What are the legal implications of this?

There is none for the driver itself. DPT owns the driver. I am the author

of the BSDi driver. The sources are completely unencumbered (I pushed

for opensource).

The only legal implication of the sources are the I2O headers which

belong to the I2O committee. They have given dispensation to release

the headers for compilation purposes only and not for original development

without joining the committee (header follows). I am not sure whether

FreeBSD can take it, since we were rejected for inclusion into Linux

because of the GNU's their restrictive GPL. I can get Roger Cummings

to *push* for an adjustment to the headers for FreeBSD if you

believe it is necessary.

Sincerely -- Mark Salyzyn	Senior Software Engineer

						Distributed Processing Technology

/**********************************************************************

 *

 * Copyright (c) 1996-1999 Distributed Processing Technology Corporation

 * All rights reserved.

 *

 * Copyright (c) 1998 I2O Special Interest Group (I2O SIG)

 * All rights reserved

 *

 * Redistribution and use in source form, with or without modification, are

 * permitted provided that redistributions of source code must retain the

 * above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

 *

 * This software is provided `as is' by Distributed Processing Technology and

 * any express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the

 * implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose,

 * are disclaimed. In no event shall Distributed Processing Technology be

 * liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary or

 * consequential damages (including, but not limited to, procurement of

 * substitute goods or services; loss of use, data, or profits; or business

 * interruptions) however caused and on any theory of liability, whether in

 * contract, strict liability, or tort (including negligence or otherwise)

 * arising in any way out of the use of this driver software, even if advised

 * of the possibility of such damage.

 *

 * This information is provided on an as-is basis without warranty of any

 * kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, implied

 * warranties or merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. I2O SIG

 * does not warrant that this program will meet the user's requirements or

 * that the operation of these programs will be uninterrupted or error-free.

 * The I2O SIG disclaims all liability, including liability for infringement

 * of any proprietary rights, relating to implementation of information in

 * this specification. The I2O SIG does not warrant or represent that such

 * implementations(s) will not infringe such rights. Acceptance and use of

 * this program constitutes the user's understanding that he will have no

 * recourse to I2O SIG for any actual or consequential damages including, but

 * not limited to, loss profits arising out of use or inability to use this

 * program.

 *

 * This information is provided for the purpose of recompilation of the

 * driver code provided by Distributed Processing Technology only. It is

 * NOT to be used for any other purpose.

 *

 * To develop other products based upon I2O definitions, it is necessary to

 * become a "Registered Developer" of the I2O SIG. This can be done by calling

 * 415-750-8352 in the US, or via http://www.i2osig.org.

 *