Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 08:13:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        nvp@mediaone.net, Scott_Graves@sealand.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Learning C on FreeBSD...

>From: nvp@mediaone.net
>Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:27:39 -0500 (EST)

>> Can someone give me a few books which will help me to learn C on FreeBSD...
>> I'd like to start actually understanding how to design programs for
>> FreeBSD.... The last programming language I used was PASCAL over 3 years
>> ago... Any suggestions would be great...

>       - The C Programming Language or "The C Bible" by Kerningham and
>         Ritchie (publisher forgotten).  If you intend to work with C
>	 and you need a little bit of direction, some algorithms to
>	 get started with, lots of Unixisms (stat'ing files, reading
>	 directories, file I/O, etc), and a huge number of Unix (C)
>	 functions and their parameters/return values, I'd definitely
>	 suggest getting this book.  I think that it's in 2nd edition.

That's "Kernighan"; publisher is Prentice-Hall.  Of the books mentioned,
it would be my first choice.

(Brian Kernighan is credited/blamed(*) for christening the OS that Ken
Thompson wrote & Dennis Ritchie helped port to C (a language that
ritchie wrote, based on "B", which was based on "BCPL") "UNIX".)

* Ritchie, D. M., "The Evolution of the UNIX Time-sharing System", in
AT&T Bell Telephone Laboratories Techincal Journal, Vol. 63, No. 8,
October 1984.  See the last sentence of section II, "Origins".

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621