Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 19:14:03 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>, phk@FreeBSD.ORG, Alex <akruijff@dds.nl>
Subject:   Re: 80386 out of GENERIC

John Baldwin wrote:
> This has nothing to do with /dev/random.  Please stop with the constant
> FUDing Terry.

| Revision 1.296 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Sun Jan 14
| 10:11:10 2001 UTC (23 months ago) by jhb
| Branch: MAIN
| Changes since 1.295: +2 -2 lines
| Diff to previous 1.295 (colored)
|
| Remove I386_CPU from GENERIC.  Support for the 386 seriously pessimizes
| performance on other x86 processors.  Custom kernels can still be built
| that will run on the 386.

The pessimization that was being discussed right before that happened
was "harvesting entropy for /dev/random".  I can provide mailing list
quotes about that bracketing those dates.

Was there a particular pessimization other than /dev/random that you
were thinking of when you made the commit comment?

The major functional changes immediately preceeding the disabling were
1.283, 1.279, and 1.275.  1.275 made /dev/random mandatory, and 1.283
disabled the blocking model /dev/random, to address hanges even on
non-i386 architectures.  1.279 was Peter's cleanup, and doesn't seem
to impact performance, even though it was moderately major.

As I already pointed out: with the /dev/random algorithm now much more
efficient than when it was first committed, maybe the impetus for axing
i386 is no longer there.

In any case, it can't hurt to periodically examine whether the reasons
for the change are still valid or not, no matter what the pessimization
was that was being referred to.

-- Terry