Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 11:36:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Kurt Jaeger" <pi@complx.LF.net>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom)
Cc:        vandj@securenet.net (Jean M. Vandette), freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP or packet Accounting Software for burst connections.

Hi!

> > > I was wondering if any one would know of a software that would
> > > do packet or bandwidth accounting for billing a burstable connection,
> > > and also something that would keep track of how many bytes a
> > > client consumed during the period (month).

> > I modified tcpdump to do bean, ehr, packet/byte counting.

> > ftp://ftp.LF.net/pub/unix/systems/FreeBSD/sw/ipcount-19991106.tgz

> > It also requires sleepycat's/berkely DB, some 2.7.x version.

> > Basically, it will add up the bytes that match a given tcpdump expression,
> > over a configurable interval.

>   That seems rather silly, since ipfw can do that already.

My bean-count-list is roughly 3000 records large. Will ipfw scale to
that number of rules ? For 2-3 times 34mbit/sec ?

Did it do that in 1996, when I first did this modification ?

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger                                  21 years to go !
LF.net GmbH        pi@LF.net            Oberon.net GmbH   pi@oberon.net