Date:      Sun, 4 May 2003 09:17:01 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DSL Stability

On Sunday, May 4, 2003, at 12:23  AM, Derrick Ryalls wrote:
> I managed to get DSL working with FreeBSD somewhat, but I am having
> some weird connectivity issues.  At random times, I will lose network
> connectivity.  The Westell modem says there is full connection via
> ethernet and phone, but I am unable to ping their gateway and dhclient
> is unable to obtain a new lease.
>
> The strange part is that if I plug my WinXP box into the modem
> directly, I obtain an ip and can surf.  If I then plug the BSD box
> back into the modem, I can once again obtain leases and talk to the
> 'net, but about half the time I need to restart natd for the inside
> network to be able to do anything.
>
> System/ISP info:
>
> 4.7-RELEASE-p5
> rc.conf
> ifconfig_sis0="DHCP"
> default_gateway="4.xx.xxx.1"

Why are you defining "default_gateway"?  You're using DHCP, it should
be set automatically.  Also, no such option exists.  It should be
"defaultrouter".

> natd_program="/sbin/natd"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="sis0"
> natd_flags="-f /etc/natd.conf"

This doesn't help much without your firewall rules and natd.conf.

> VerizonDSL in north Seattle

I've got Verizon DSL here in the Portland area and have had no problems
with it at all.  All I had to do was plug it in, and off it went.

- jim

--
- jim mock  mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org  jim@{bsdnews|FreeBSD}.org -
- editor in chief, BSD News: http://bsdnews.org  http://soupnazi.org -