Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 1995 00:41:51 +0200
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        rich@spirit.com.au (Rich Siggs)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 16 ports Boca - anyone using it?

	   My first card had bad probe problems, with the odd 1 or more ports
   simply not probing-on-boot.. Actually, this has stabilised greatly since I
   re-org'd the "guts" of that Server ;)

We see lots of this after panics (usually a reboot cures it), on several
machines.  I tried adding multiple sio<n> lines in kernel config and it
helps considerably.  If the first probe does not see, often next or third
one sees, but it still misses some ports sometimes (I have tried up to 8
probes).

As it happens particularly often on lines which have lots of traffic, it
might be fifo-related.  All our AST4:s do this, but there is large
variation between different machines, one of them looses serial ports every
week, one does it less than once every couple of months.  The machine which
does this most often has lots of NE2000 clones inside, that could explain
it (NE2000 clones explain a lot of things :-).

cy driver does not exhibit this (though it exhibits other problems, but not
so serious in our environment).

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@clinet.fi  work +358-0-4375209 fax -4555276 home -8031121