Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 07:05:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <jmg@nike.efn.org>
To:        Leonard Chua <lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd and the login option

On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Leonard Chua wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:
>
> > It's a trade off with having a clear text file with passwords or having
> > clear text go over the wire when considering CHAP vs. PAP w/ the system
> > database.
> >
> True. My assumption, however, is that the PAP clear text goes over
> the TCP/IP between the dialup client, via the modem, to my dialup server.
> There should be no reason for such packets to ever enter the rest of
> the internet. A TCP/IP guru might confirm/deny this.

the way ppp works is that if has a top level lcp.. this controls how the
link can comunicate... then it goes into authentication stage...  after
that is successful (i.e. pap password).. then it goes into the network
phase in which it will try to initiate the different layers for network
traffic... such as ipcp which tcp/ip uses...  so the authentication isn't
sent in tcp/ip packets...

hope this helps.. :)   ttyl..

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
http://resnet.uoregon.edu/~gurney_j/
Modem/FAX: (541) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)