Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:46:50 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "Bruce Pennypacker" <bpennypacker@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Second SCSI tape drive not seen

"Bruce Pennypacker" writes:
> When the server reboots we see both SCSI adapters being probed and both
> tape drives are properly identified.  The drive on the 7880 is assigned
> st0 and the one on the 2940 is assigned st1.  However, when I log in and
> try to do anything with st1 I'm unable to access the device.  There are
> no references to st1 in /dev, and nothing I've tried to get it to show
> up has worked.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I'm missing something
> simple. (I definately do NOT claim to be a SCSI/BSD expert so please
> bear with me if the answer is painfully obvious!)

Yup, its simple and you have already noticed it yourself. While dmesg
says the tape drive was detected you can't get to it until there is a
device "file" created for it, typically in /dev.

As root if you

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV st1

Then you should have something that looks like this:

n4hhe: {1078} ls -CF /dev/*st1*
/dev/erst1      /dev/erst1.3    /dev/nrst1.2    /dev/rst1.1     /dev/st1ctl.0
/dev/erst1.0    /dev/nrst1      /dev/nrst1.3    /dev/rst1.2     /dev/st1ctl.1
/dev/erst1.1    /dev/nrst1.0    /dev/rst1       /dev/rst1.3     /dev/st1ctl.2
/dev/erst1.2    /dev/nrst1.1    /dev/rst1.0     /dev/rst1.ctl   /dev/st1ctl.3
n4hhe: {1079}