Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 12:30:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RSA Contest

> Well I've stopped the rc5 processes on my machines, the server hasnt been
> responding for days.

I'm surprised you held out that long - I killed mine weeks ago. :-)

The contest basically fell apart, from everything I could see.  I'm
also not sure if the original objectives were met and I've got fairly
grave doubts that any 10,000 machines ever participated *effectively*
during this run.  There was so much syn-flooding and general network
mayhem going on that I'll bet if anyone ever does the final and honest
accounting for this, based on the number of key cracks actually
performed, you'll probably find that only about 500 machine's worth of
pure 24/7 crunching was achieved (or something close to an order of
magnitude less than the numbers being claimed).

					Jordan