Date:      Sat, 11 Feb 2017 12:36:10 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Tony Hain <tony@tndh.net>, "'Oleksandr Tymoshenko'" <gonzo@bluezbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Questions about BBB/BBG dtb names vs. content

On Sat, 2017-02-11 at 11:08 -0800, Tony Hain wrote:

[...]
> There is still the open question about the "compatible" strings
> containing
> "-" while the file names do not. If that is what is coming from
> upstream and
> expected, fine. I just wanted to check to make sure something didn't
> get
> crossed up during the name changes. Hopefully I will get a green
> build done
> this weekend.
>
> Tony

There is not necessarily any relationship between dts/dtb filenames and
 any compat strings within the dtb.  The compat strings are defined by
the bindings documentation, and are essentially a contract between the
dts source and the device driver source.  The filenames are a separate
contract, mostly between vendors and the u-boot source, but even those
don't have to agree.

Anybody can set the u-boot fdt_file env var to anything they want. IMO,
that is the right way to handle all this freebsd and local user
customization... if you want a uart device enabled, then create your
own tony-bb.dts that includes the standard beaglebone source, then adds
the few lines of code needed to enable the uart, and in u-boot just do
setenv fdt_file tony-bb.dtb; saveenv.  (At least until overlay support
settles down and finds its way into freebsd.)

-- Ian