Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 13:19:39 -0500
From:      Kevin Havener <kevin.havener@afccc.af.mil>
To:        gunnut@2ainfo.it
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: two hard drives, adding OS's

filippo moretti wrote:

> On 07-Mar-00 Kevin Havener wrote:
> > I just put mine on the primary slave (I think, I have faulty memory,
> > though).  Yes, I believe thats it, on OS or another sees it as hdc.

>   hdc is the master on the second IDE bus hdb would be the slave

Doh, what was I thinking?!  If I had just read what I typed, I could
have figured it out.

> > have both a Linux and a FreeBSD installation on it.  They both boot just
> > fine.
> >

> > I think my rationale was that (or so I heard) read/write from channel to
> > channel are faster than master to slave on the same IDE channel.
> > Reasoning that since I do most all of my OS installs from CDROM I wanted
> > to be able to do it slightly faster.  So until I get another hard drive,
> > my CDROM is alone on the secondary IDE channel.  This could all be just
> > hogwash, though.

Here's where I got in trouble.  hdc is a big drive.  I was thinking that
I wouldn't have much need to write from the hdb (CDROM) to hda (small
drive) and that I might want to write from the big drive to the small
one.

Good thing it worked.  Who knows what kind of trouble I would have had
fixing it!  I'd rather be lucky than good.

Kevin