Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:43:19 -0400
From:      beno <zope@2012.vi>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebuilding Kernel

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2006-08-21 16:28, beno <zope@2012.vi> wrote:
>
>> Hi;
>> I just barely finished upgrading from 5.3 to 6.1 and all is well,
>> however, now I realize I have to rebuild my kernel again to accommodate
>> PF. I've edited the correct GENERIC file (I'm on an i386 box).
>>

> Don't edit GENERIC.  It's very rarely a good idea.  If you spend some
> time to fine tune GENERIC to your own particular setup, matching your
> own preferences, you may be surprised in a very bad way after the next
> CVSup run, when all your local modifications are blown away by CVSup as
> it updates your 'GENERIC' configuration to the official GENERIC status.
>
> It is a *FAR* better idea to copy GENERIC and edit a copy.  Most of the
> time I even go as far as copying GENERIC _outside_ of the `/usr/src'
> tree, i.e. in `/root/kernconf/LOCAL' and symlink that file inside the
> source tree, i.e. at `/usr/src/sys/i386/conf'.

Great. I added that to my script and copied over GENERIC to a separate
folder, as per your idea. Now, since I had already rebuilt the kernel, I
presume I don't have to concern myself with this issue until the next
time I do so, is that correct?
> Why are you running `/etc/rc.shutdown' manually?
>
> Why are you using `pkill' on Sendmail and syslogd?

As Mikhail Goriachev stated, I followed his instructions explicitly
because I figured (correctly) that he_knew_what_he_was_doing, even if
(as it now appears) it was overkill. Better safe than sorry :)
beno