Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:46:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Doug Poland <dpoland@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding an open port for Sybase

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Doug Poland wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to install Sybase Adaptive Server (for linux) on
> -RELEASE 3.1. The install docs want me to include an open
> port address.  The docs say use netstat to find an open port.
>
> Their default port address is 7100.  I can't seem to get netstat
> to return addresses in this form.  Any suggestions?
>
> BTW:  Has anyone has successfully installed Sybase on FreeBSD?

I think you can safely use the default port number, but let me
explain netstat a bit:

netstat shows you the resources in use, not the free ones...

/usr/src/sys/i386/conf % netstat -a -f inet
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp        0      0  thumper.1027           freefall.FreeBSD.http  CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0  thumper.1026           freefall.FreeBSD.http  CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0  thumper.1025           freefall.FreeBSD.http  CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0  thumper.1024           freefall.FreeBSD.http  CLOSE_WAIT
tcp        0      0  *.6000                 *.*                    LISTEN
tcp        0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp        0      0  *.http                 *.*                    LISTEN

the first 4 lines where the (state) column is "CLOSE_WAIT" are active
connections that are waiting to be closed.

more interesting are the 3 lines following:

tcp        0      0  *.6000                 *.*                    LISTEN
tcp        0      0  *.ssh                  *.*                    LISTEN
tcp        0      0  *.http                 *.*                    LISTEN

these are listening sockets, programs are listening on these ports for
connections, the ports are 6000, ssh and httpd.  you can lookup the port
numbers in /etc/services:

6000 = 6000  (that's my X server)
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf % grep ssh /etc/services
ssh              22/tcp    #Secure Shell Login
ssh              22/udp    #Secure Shell Login
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf % grep http /etc/services
#       http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/port-numbers
http             80/tcp    www www-http         #World Wide Web HTTP
http             80/udp    www www-http         #World Wide Web HTTP

ok, so ports in use are 6000, 22 and 80 (i have more but i trimmed it just to
show you)

you can also try "netstat -an -f inet" which will directly show you the port
numbers in use.

i'm pretty sure you can assume anything not output by netstat means
that it's free...

hope this helps.

-Alfred