Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 1996 10:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Craig Huckabee <huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil>
Cc:        Brian Tao <taob@io.org>, paulo@centauro.isr.uc.pt, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: out of ptys?

On Sat, 22 Jun 1996, Craig Huckabee wrote:

> > On Thu, 20 Jun 1996, Gary Palmer wrote:
> > >
> > > It does? Whoops. I think the limit is actually 256 now (can someone
> > > confirm this?)
> >
> >     No problems with 256 of 'em here, so the limit is at least that.
> > I've seen somewhere around 170+ allocated here (logins + screen
> > sessions) on a busy night with only one of the servers accepting
> > logins.  I'm not sure what is involved getting more than 256 tty
> > pairs, since tty[pqrsPQRS][0-9a-v] only gives you 256 devices.
>
>    I'm running 256 here as well, and we've used most of them all at once
>    (during some stress testing).  There's also this note in /dev/MAKEDEV:
>
>    [in the section for pty creation....]
>     # This still leaves [tuTU].
>
>     Dunno if that means they are also available giving a max of 384.

	Hmmm, we have a Dual P5-100 w/128megs and somehow the machine
slows down to turtle speed.....  Also, for some reason, when there is 150
httpd sessions running, it seems to flood the router and then the entire
network is really lagging... we're on a T1 with a Wellfleet(sp?) router,
does anyone know anything about this router and how to get this problem
fixed?

Vince
System Administration Team/GaiaNet Corporation