Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 23:01:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Moving to a more current BIND

(apologies for topic drift on this mailing list)

In article <199708051639.JAA06341@phaeton.artisoft.com> you wrote:
> > > I can live with my secondary MX queueing up mail.
> > >
> > > I can *not* live with my mail being refused for the lack of a
> > > correctly named account at the primary MX's IP address.

(re your multiple booting machine)
Just don't use the development/experimental machine as your production
mail system.  Get a POP account if you don't have any other boxes ;-)

> > You're already stuck with that due to caching behavior.

> My primary MX is on the other side of a firewall.

> Outside deliveries to my primary MX all fail.  They are delivered
> to a gateway machine -- my secondary MX.

don't do that.  Do not advertise an MX that nobody can use, thus
creating delays for any mail reaching you.

Instead, use a splitted DNS scheme (one name server for outside,
on firewall machine, one inside;  use inside name server in resolv.conf
on firewall machine, so it would get correct internal MX records).
In external DNS, have only 1 MX record (well, better more, but all
reachable).  In internal, have everything in external plus additional
(`real') MXes.

Alternatively, use one MX, single DNS and mailertable on your SMTP host.

> The secondary MX contains the DNS records for the target of the
> CNAME, and is the primary for the domain in which it is located.

are you talking about MX pointing to CNAME or NS pointing to CNAME?