Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:53:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Brian Gruber <knightbg@yahoo.com>
To:        Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz>, freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Gruber <knightbg@yahoo.com>
Subject:   Re: no video coming out of S3

--- Anish Mistry <amistry@am-productions.biz> wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 June 2007, Nate Lawson wrote:
> > Brian Gruber wrote:
> > > I'm having trouble bringing my computer out of
> S3
> > > suspend, and am hoping someone may be able to
> help me.
> > >

> > Try using the radeontool port.  I think you might
> find some info in
> > the acpi@ archives.

The radeontool port will successfully turn the video
signal on and off (with dac on/dac off), though it
doesn't actually get the monitor to go into power-save
mode. After coming out of suspend, radeontool does
nothing, merely complaining that it is "Not memory
mapped" (I can see the error message by ssh'ing in and
running radeontool that way).

> > I think one solution we should try is to do the
> various BIOS video
> > reset routines after powering up everything again
> (D3->D0).  At the
> > moment, the code runs kind of early since it runs
> in real mode.
> > We'd have to do it in VM86 mode after the video hw
> was powered back
> > up.
> >
> > I thought jhb@ once had a DPMS patch that did
> something like this
> > but I dunno.
> Google for acpi_video_dpms

I tried patching my kernel with this, but it didn't do
anything either. I tried it with hw.acpi.reset_video=1
and =0. radeontool still doesn't work w/ this patch
either.

Also I should note that the tty green saver puts my
monitor in and out of power-save with no trouble (yes,
i have also tried turning the green saver off, but it
hasn't made a difference either).

Before I ran any of these tests, I set my computer to
not load X on boot and rebooted. Any more suggestions?

/brian

http://farechase.yahoo.com/