Date:      Sat, 5 May 2007 14:17:00 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, corwin@aeternal.net
Subject:   Re: swap zone exhausted, increase kern.maxswzone

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 03:10:01PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>=20
>=20
> --On Saturday, May 05, 2007 10:49:29 -0700 Matthew Dillon=20
> <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>=20
> >     The swblock structures only apply to actively swapped out data.  Ma=
rk,
> >     how much data is actually swapped out (pstat -s) at the time the
> >     problem is reported?
> >
> >     If you can dump UMA memory statistics that would be beneficial as w=
ell.
> >     I just find it hard to imagine that any system would actually be us=
ing
> >     that much swap, but hey! :-)
>=20
> That's why I think that the socket issue and this one are co-related ... =
with=20
> everything started up (93 jails), my swap usage right now is:
>=20
> mars# pstat -s
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity
> /dev/da0s1b       8388608       20  8388588     0%
>=20
> Its only been up 2.5 hours so far, but still, everything is started up ...

If you have something that is eventually using 8GB of swap, it's
almost certainly an application or configuration problem on your end.
This kind of problem could indeed be causing you to run out of other
resources also (e.g. if you're ending up with thousands of instances
of a server running).

kris

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--