Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 11:39:30 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@rakhesh.com>
Cc:        Terrence Wilson <tjw43@drexel.edu>, "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation problem

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 08:31:09AM +0400, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, illoai@gmail.com wrote:

> >>Are you trying to install FreeBSD in an extended partition? The
> >>/dev/ad*4*s2b makes me think so ...
> >
> >/dev/ad4 is probably his first SATA drive, the integer
> >following "s" is the slice number (partition in the magical
> >windows world) and if greater than 4 indicates an extended
> >slice.
>
> I thought /dev/ad4s2b meant the 5th disk (since its ad4; ad0-ad3 being 1st
> to 4th disks), 2nd slice (s2), and second partition in that slice (b). Do
> SATA drives too come up as "ad" devices? I don't have experience with SATA
> drives, so don't know ... I know my IDE drives come up as "ad" and so
> would assume SATA will come up with a different name.

Well, you would be right about it being a 5th disk in FreeBSD terms.
How many disks are on the machine and what did you select for
installation within SYSINSTALL.   It allows you to select any
slice on the system for installation.   It might get confused by
MS extended partitions, but I think that would affect only slice
designation and not drive designation - but I could be off on that.

Did you tell it to create a slice 2 out of unused space and make it
a FreeBSD type?   Did you have space for it?   How did you create
that "partition" for FreeBSD?    Note that what Microsloth calls a
partition is really called a 'slice' in FreeBSD and in the device
name indicated above is ---s2-- part of the name which makes complete
sense and seems normal.   The only odd parts are ad4 which would be
the fifth disk drive unless something is weird and the 'b', maybe, if
you did not create one which would be a bug to look for one if you
didn't make one.

Anyway, it is hard to meaningfully speculate without knowing more about
what you actuall have and actually did.

////jerry