Date:      Fri, 20 Jun 1997 00:35:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dan Roberts <droberts@gwis.com>
To:        support@freebsd.org
Subject:   innd shell environment vars not working properly?

I have the latest innd port installed on a brand new 2.2.2 box we're going
to run a news server on.  When I run rc.news, it's supposed to read in
some environment variables from /usr/local/news/lib/innshellvars.  It
apparently does this succesfully, as I've put some echo commands in
various places in the script to track its progress.  Everything seems okay
to this point.. but then things start getting strange.  I have a separate
HD for the history file, which is mounted as /news, and then a
concatenated 4 disk array for the spool mounted on /news/spool.  I made
changes to the shellvar file to replace these new locations for various
files instead of the defaults, yet innd ignores these changes and writes
the files in their default locations anyway.

Additional evidence: there's a typo in the innshellvar file that starts
innd as /usr/local//etc/innd (you can observe this in a process listing)..
When I remove one of the /'s between local and etc and try to start
rc.news again, it STILL has the double /'s.  I've tried applying the
updates to the .csh, .pl and .tcl var files as well, just in case it was
reading from them, but no luck.  I've read thru the rc.news, and paths are
proper..  this is just completely baffled everyone who's looked at it so
far.

Has anyone else encountered a problem like this or aware of how to fix it?

--
Dan Roberts, http://gwis.com/~droberts        Gateway to Internet Services
sysadmin/ircadmin, barovia.oh.us.dal.net    for Internet access in NE Ohio