Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 03:21:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        grog@lemis.com
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript 5 port is broken

 * On Sun, Oct 12, 1997 at 04:24:30AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
 * >  *  - It requires the jpeg6 and png ports for building, but fails to
 * >  *    detect that they are already installed.  Instead, it depends on
 * >  *    the file /nonexistent, ie. it *always* extracts, builds and installs
 * >  *    both these ports.  This will fail if they have already been
 * >  *    installed.
 * >  *
 * >  *  - It attempts to execute scripts/configure, which is not executable.
 * >  *    Instead, the script should be fed to sh.  (This may be a generic
 * >  *    ports infrastructure thing.)
 * >
 * > You need a new bsd.port.mk for both these things.
 *
 * Don't I get that with a 'make world'?  I have:
 *
 * $ l /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
 * -r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  54241 Oct  9 04:15 /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
 *
 * I've built ghostscript 5 twice in the last couple of weeks on a
 * -current less than 7 days old, and I can confirm both these points.

That it extracts jpeg and png is a feature and is required to build
gs5 (don't ask me why, I don't want to know).  If it actually
*installs* both those ports, there's something amyss with your
bsd.port.mk.  What does the $Id$ line say?

Same for point 2.  New (as in "within the last couple of months")
bsd.port.mk's should handle this.

Satoshi