Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 1999 10:45:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (fwd) CNN - Crypto expert: Microsoft products leave door opentoNSA -  September 3, 1999 (fwd)

On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Mark Ovens wrote:

> Hasn't the US govt recently been generous and allowed 56-bit
> encryption to be exported? ISTR that "export" versions of IE now
> have it, or is M$ a special case?

This is still almost trivially breakable thesedays - refer EFF's "Deep
Crack" hardware.

> Anyway, who cares what the US govt thinks, says, or does about
> encryption? We all have PGP which is as much as 512 (or is it 1024?)
> bit.

Asymmetric cryptography like DH/RSA (used in PGP) doesn't directly compare
to symmetric cryptography (DES, blowfish, etc) in terms of key bitlengths:
a 512-bit asymmetric key is roughly as "strong" as a 56-bit symmetric key
(e.g. DES) (give or take an order of magnitude, I don't have figures
handy). 1024 is considered to be reasonably secure against attack for the
next few years, but if you want to be secure in the longer-term you should
be using 2048-bit keys or larger.

Kris