Date:      Mon,  3 Aug 1998 15:08:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        reilly@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jgrosch@mooseriver.com, shocking@prth.pgs.com
Subject:   Re: Fast FFT routines with source?

Luoqi Chen writes:
 > >  > No, Numerical Recipes is not even a little bit optimised, and
 > >  > although the Fortran version is OK, the C version is horrible,
 > >  > being a translitteration from the Fortran version, for the most
 > >  > part.  The hackery to get Fortran-style offset-1 array indexing is
 > >  > particularly nasty.
 > >
 > > Had the same feelings abouot NR. More of an recipe "how to write a
 > > fft (... and introduce maximal confusion by strange indexing)".
 > >
 > Code samples (yes, they are samples, I never use them as they are) in NR
 > are horrible, but no other book could beat NR on explaining how an
 > algorithm works (have you read the FFT section in Sedgewick's Algorithms?
 > Instead of explaining how *FFT* works, it tries to explain what are
 > roots of unity, does that belong to a high school Algebra book?)

Don't know about US-highschools.

To know "how FFT works", you have to know what this nasty
numbers in the frequency-domain stand for and where they come
from. Also you need to know why you are able to reuse
intermediary calculation-results (bit-reversion/reordering).
The answers to this questions are easy, when you have knowledge
about unit-roots and exponentials. Unit-roots and exponentials
are really not that hard, that they shouldn't be explained in a
basic-level analysis or algebra book.

Malte.