Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2000 16:34:56 -0600
From:      Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fwd: Problems with a new cyclades Ye-32, HW or driver? 8-bit characters where there shouldn't be

I sent this to -questions a week ago with no response, so I though I'd try
one last time on -hardware.

More information from my end will probably be needed (perhaps the card
revision numbers?); but, here's the situation:

Existing system running 3.4-STABLE, happily using an existing Cyclades Ye-32
(not that it really matters, but for Sun/SGI/FreeBSD serial consoles, FYI).

I purchased a new Ye-32 planning on going to a total of 64-ports split on 2
cards.  To make sure all was working, I pulled the old card out, verified
that the DIP switches on the new card matched the configuration of the old
card, and put the new card in its place, no other changes, just a card-
swap.  Powered up...

It didn't work:
  It "randomly" sets the high-bit of outgoing characters:
  (i.e. character sent = character typed | 0x80)
  [which wreaks havoc as a console interface]

% kermit -l /dev/cuac00
C-Kermit 7.0.196, 1 Jan 2000, for FreeBSD 3.0
 Copyright (C) 1985, 2000,
  Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/pckizer/) C-Kermit>c
Connecting to /dev/cuac00, speed 9600.
The escape character is Ctrl-\ (ASCII 28, FS)
Type the escape character followed by C to get back,
or followed by ? to see other options.

root@ldap-test:/ # ls
zsh: command not found: \M-ls
zsh: exit 1     ls
root@ldap-test:/ # id
zsh: command not found: i\M-d
zsh: exit 1     id
root@ldap-test:/ # id
zsh: command not found: i\M-d
zsh: exit 1     id
root@ldap-test:/ # sh
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)
# id
i\344: not found
# id
i\344: not found
# id
i\344: not found
# uptime
\365p\364i\355\345: not found
# uptime
\365p\364i\355\345: not found
#
 Device: /dev/cuac00
Speed 9600
 Terminal echo: remote
 Terminal bytesize: 7
 Command bytesize: 7
 Parity: none
 Autodownload: on
 Session log: (none)
 Carrier Detect      (CD):  On
 Dataset Ready       (DSR): On
 Clear To Send       (CTS): On
 Ring Indicator      (RI):  Off
 Data Terminal Ready (DTR): On
 Request To Send     (RTS): On
 Elapsed time: 00:00:36

So, the pattern is "mostly" repeatable; it certainly has not worked except
for the odd command (if I continue typing 'id', I have yet to get a
successful non-high-bit-set entire command in 30+ tries).  I've tried the
all combinations of: {7,8}{E,N}{1,2} with no success.  Also, again, the
exact same setup works using an existing card.

Things I have tried (in order):
  o Booting from a DOS floppy and ran cyctest.exe (cyc400), all tests
    passed on both cards,
  o Call Cyclades tech-support, got blown off (must be software, we don't
    support that),
  o Download their (older) cyy30 FreeBSD driver from their ftp server and
    try to compile it.  It doesn't even compile (minor change needed
    [adding an #include <machine/lock.h> just like sio.c does], but when I
    do so, I get even worse behaviour, i.e. no connection at all, boot says:
      cy0 irq 10 maddr 0xd4000 msize 8192 on isa
      cy0: irq with no handler).
  o Compile in ddb so I might be able to print out the kernel structures to
    make absolutely sure no 8-bit data is being sent, but my level of
    kernel debugging is not up to it without some explicit instructions.

Since I was trying their driver, I though I might call them back regarding
their code, but given that this community tends to be more helpful and the
included driver is newer than theirs, I thought I would try here before
banging my head on their tech support's door again.  I am also leaning
heavily towards returning the card to the vendor and asking for a "new"
one, even though the cyc400 tests all passed.

Basically, I'm seeking some suggestions on where to turn (or, better yet,
that someone might have seen this before).

Thanks,
philip

--
AKA: Philip Kizer <pckizer@tamu.edu>
Texas A&M CIS Operating Systems Group, Unix