Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 20:38:15 +0100
From:      Tom Bowyer <tab1@clara.co.uk>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dirpref gives massive performance boost

On Friday 28 September 2001 10:26 pm, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 11:20:09PM +0200, Alessandro de Manzano wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 02:12:46PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > > Just a note to those who have updated to 4.4-STABLE that it's well
> > > worth doing a backup + newfs + restore on all your UFS volumes.  The
> >
> > does the "newfs" step is necessary or just recommended for optimum
> > performance gain ?
>
> Well, you need to wipe the disk so that when you restore it can lay
> things out optimally from the start.
>
> Kris

My approach to this would be to use the two install floppies to do the newfs
and restore. Am I right in thinking that the floppies I use would have to
have been made after the dirpref code went in to stable?

If so can I download a set of floppies made from the stable source or can I
build my own?

thanks,

Tom