Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 95 11:16:36 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@netcom.com>
To:        hm@altona.hamburg.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: Just how fast can we go... (was: Re: SCSI target)

> SCSI-II is a good and well understood choice of interconnecting low and
> medium speed devices. It's definitely better than ST506, QIC-02, HPIB,
> SMD, ESDI. No doubt - it has limitations.

It is better than those but it is much too complex for what
it does.

> I remember well the times when people were forced to buy proprietary designed
> peripherals because SCSI was not there, and i hope, they don't come back.

Standard vs. proprietary is a separate issue.  Almost all
new technologies start out being proprietary -- companies
need a profit incentive to invest money in a new technology.
Premature standardization has hurt over and over again. [I
know, this is a gross generalization but not too far of the
mark].

> When will we have HIPPI Hardware and drivers ? :-)

Available on some commercial systems.  The bigger question is
when we will have a widely available & cheap system bus
that can support 1 or more 100Mbytes/sec HIPPI channels? :-(

--bakul