Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:02:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Jeff Roberts <jroberts@ashland.edu>
Cc:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>, FreeBSD Questions Discussion List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FBSD:  HP Desk Jet, printing  PS?

Jeff Roberts writes:
 > On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, M. L. Dodson wrote:
 >
 > > Hmmmm....  The only problems I have ever had with apsfilter (of
 > > recent vintage, anyway) had to do with interfacing it to Win95
 > > boxes via samba.  I use a Deskjet 540 at home with no difficulty
 > > (except for losing the last 0.25" of paper on the page).  Did the
 > > apsfilter set the correct option to be the default printer?
 >
 > Well ... I guess it looks okay.  I'm not really knowledgable about this.
 > I ran test jobs with
 >
 >   lpr -Pcdeskjet-letter-[insert type here]-[insert subtype here] filename
 >
 > but all it ever printed was
 >
 >   Unrecoverable error:  rangecheck in .setdevice
 >   Operand stack:  --nostringval--
 >
 > (not formatted that way,though) and then ejected the sheet.

Ahhhh.... That's from ghostscript.  Why? I haven't a clue.
Anyone got any ideas?

 > > What version of ghostscript are you using?
 > > 4.0 or later is desirable for the fonts, if for no other reason.
 >
 > GNU 2.whatever, Aladdin 4.03 (I think).  However, it won't print anything:
 > ASCII, PS, you name it.

Do you have X?  Will it display the tiger in X?  If so, it should
be at least somewhat OK, although this has nothing to do with the
hardcopy devices.

 > > Does the deskjet 320 emulate a cdeskjet pretty well?
 >
 > Well, that was what the SETUP script advised.  The DJ 320 is a color Desk
 > Jet.  Is there a better option?

If the deskjet 320 really emulates a color deskjet (which was
originally a designation for a deskjet 500 something or other,
I think, but I'm not positive about that), then that should work
OK.

My suggestion is to focus on ghostscript and its configured
devices in your debugging, though.

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790