Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:32:24 +0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Fabien Thomas <thomas.fabien@gmail.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time to stop stripping binaries?

On 21 June 2010 14:41, Fabien Thomas <thomas.fabien@gmail.com> wrote:

> Having base symbols will help if you do PMC on the system for example.
> I'm always building with DONTSTRIP=1 to have it at the moment.

ISTR someone pointing out that there's a "magical" (ie, I don't
understand it) way to optionally have debugging symbols as extra
file(s), rather than having to ship extremely large shared libraries
by default.

On another hand, the Linux box I'm using oprofile on has a libc6-dbg
package which includes the extra symbols in libraries which populate
/usr/lib/debug/ . I haven't the foggiest clue how the linker (and
opreport) know how to use which and when.

Adrian