Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:36:33 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Nuovo DNS (sorry for the mistake)

At 16/02/00, you wrote:
> > Sorry for this message, but I'd like to write it to chat@gufi.org
> > (FreeBSD italian user group) and obviusly it was in italian language.
> >
> > Btw I was asked if none has developed/written a perl/sh/awk script to
> > convert the old way DNS zones into the new format (so named stop to
> > generate warnings).
> >
> > Sorry again for the waste of bandwith.
>
>My comments about the authority records stand; the way you have
>converted this, and the way you wre originally running it, is
>actually wrong.

I have not converted them yet, also because I was not sure on how I have to
do it.
Now reading the man of named I discover that I can specify the default TTL
keyword as the first line of the zone file:
$TTL nnnnnn

>But yes, there is a conversion script supplied in the BIND 8
>contrib directory.

Fine... I'll check it too, thanks...

>I told you my Italian was rusty.  8-).  I thought you were
>having a problem running the named after you had converted into
>the new format...

As you have understand I have not yet converted them yet. Btw your
observations were too much interesting.

This was the sample I sent.

 > cofinco.it.     IN SOA gmarco.cofinco.it. gmarco.freebsd.cofinco.it. (
 >                 1999121301      ; serial
 >                 10800           ; Refresh
 >                 3600            ; Retry
 >                 604800          ; Expire
 >                 86400)          ; Minimum TTL
 >
 >                         IN MX   10      freebsd.cofinco.it.
 >                         IN A    192.168.0.1
 >

 > cofinco.it.             IN NS           192.168.0.1
 > cofinco.it.             IN NS           151.99.150.6
 > cofinco.it.             IN NS           194.184.65.2
 >
 > freebsd                 IN A            192.168.0.1
 > lombardo                IN A            192.168.0.101
 > daniela                 IN A            192.168.0.102
 > empty1                  IN A            192.168.0.103
 > rachele                 IN A            192.168.0.104

>If you are trying to run split horizon (e.g. this is a dial-on-demand
>Internet connection with a local network behind FreeBSD running as a
>NAT box), they you will need to get more complicated in your setup.

This exactly the point.
The sample I sent was the DNS of an intranet connected to the Internet by a
cable modem with ppp -nat enable.

This is the output of ifconfig -a:
freebsd:/home/gmarco> ifconfig -a
ed1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         ether 52:54:05:df:0e:46
tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
         inet 194.243.20.91 --> 194.243.20.2 netmask 0xffffff00

>Specifically, you will have to run two DNS servers, one interior and
>one exterior, and you will have to specify the addresses to which
>they are bound.  If you are using dynamic IP, you will have to wait
>to start the exterior server as part of your linkup script.

Do you think I have to run 2 DNS ?
I really don't want my boxes inside the intranet to be accessible from the
Internet (they are almost Windog 98 boxes). The DNS is needed only for the
"inside" boxes to query their requests for the Internet address.
The configuration seems to work now, do you think I have to change it ?

>There are directions on how to do this in the O'Reilly BIND book.

I have that book (indeed I have two editions of it, also the last :-)
Perhaps I have to read them better :-)

Thanks again for your attention and your kind replies.

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it