Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 2010 05:27:49 -0400
From:      Michael Powell <nightrecon@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: looking for a buildable version of OpenOffice.org

Scott Bennett wrote:

>      I have tried all of the versions of OpenOffice.org that are currently
> in the ports tree on a 7.3-STABLE system, and all of them fail to build to
> completion.  Is there somewhere that I can find one that actually works?
> Or at least some alternative package that will build and work on a FreeBSD
> 7.3-STABLE system?  No packages appear to be available for these ports.
> (Transcripts of the failed builds are available on request.)
>      And what would be available if I were to upgrade my system to
>      8.1-STABLE? Thanks in advance for any help!

Might try pre-built packages and see if they might work for you. No
guarantee they will. Notice there are two directories at the bottom for 8,
so probably the rest are for 7.x. Haven't used these in a while so YMMV.
Might also be tricky picking out the right file(s) from the clutter. The
main app will be about ~147-150MB with a second language pack that is small.

Don't know exactly how much the newer versions depend on Java. Used to be a
lot of the filters were java based and once upon a time some time back I
remember this being a source of some 'uh ohs'.

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD/

-Mike