Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 07:47:20 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad sound output, AudioPCI ES1371, 4.0-STABLE

On Wed, Jul 12, 2000 at 07:53:27AM -0700, Joseph Scott wrote:

> Sean Lutner wrote:
> >
> > I have the exact same card you do.
> >
> > (9) sean@pulse: ~ $ cat /dev/sndstat
> > FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jun 29 2000 01:10:19
> > Installed devices:
> > pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0x1080 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)
> > (10) sean@pulse: ~ $ dmesg | grep pcm
> > pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x1080-0x10bf irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0
> > (11) sean@pulse: ~ $
> >
> > I also have device pcm in my kernel, and I've not have one glitch in my
> > sound performance. I switch from X to console, I switch back, I switch
> > desktops, I run lots of memory intensive programs (mozilla, Star Office
> > 5.2, netscape, etc), and I've seen no performance hits.
> >
> > Any other comparisons you'd like to make, I'd be willing to do, compare
> > configs, specs on machines etc...
>
> 	Hummmmm.  I'd be very happy to find that I've managed to do something
> else (besides simply keeping up with -STABLE) that caused this.  I
> wonder if this could be caused by IRQ conflicts.  Do you have anything
> else that shows up with IRQ 5?  I believe on mine USB was also listed
> as using IRQ 5.

IRQ 5 seems to be an odd one to have attached to a PCI slot.  My
SB128 (AudioPCI ES1371) seems to be working nicely, but it's on
IRQ 10 and io range 0xdc00...  (and nothing else is on IRQ 10)

FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul 10 2000 09:29:43
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0xdc00 irq 10 (1p/1r channels duplex)

> 	I also wonder if there's any settings in the BIOS that might have
> changed to cause this to freak out.

Most bioses have some sort of tweaks that apply to PCI
interrupts.

--
Andrew