Date:      Sun, 08 Nov 1998 17:07:12 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

In message <199811081517.HAA03267@root.com>, David Greenman writes:
>>On Sun, Nov 08, 1998 at 09:22:50AM -0500, John Fieber wrote:
>>> One question: Is the problem "sticky"?  By that I mean, if it is
>>> triggered by a memomry shortage, is something in the kernel
>>> corrupted that tends to kill/corrupt daemons from that point in
>>> time on, or is it just something that affects isolated processes.
>>
>>All daemons running at that point seems to get something corrupted.
>>If you restart the daemon, it won't happen again until you again run
>>out of memory (or whatever it is that trigger the corruption).
>
>   brk(2) will fail and return ENOMEM if the system is low on swap space. If
>the application (phk malloc or the caller of malloc?) isn't prepared for this,
>it may end up with a NULL pointer that it doesn't expect - perhaps not even
>tripping over it until sometime later.

This would be (semi-)easy to check for:

	ln -s A /etc/malloc.conf

will make malloc call abort() rather than return a NULL pointer.

Trouble is that fd#2 from daemons isn't always available for barfing
into for malloc [*]

Poul-Henning

[*] I've often wished that we had a syslog(2), ie system call,
which didn't require you to go through all the open/bind/send/
gyrations.  Come to think of it, I son't see any reason apart
from the ideological aspect for not having that.  It would
improve the reliability and security of syslog a fair bit.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal