Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:40:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
Cc:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openoffice stack and datasize kernel problems

    That does seem odd.  The port build does say that open office
    needs higher system limits:

<Openoffice needs a larger stack- and
<datasize to build. Check your limit
<settings and add this to your KERNEL
<configuration if necessary:
<
<options MAXDSIZ="(1024*1024*1024)"
<options MAXSSIZ="(256*1024*1024)"

    But it doesn't make much sense.  A 64 megabyte stack ought
    to be plenty, as should the default 512MB data size.

    It should be noted that mmap() uses whatever VM space
    remains after MAXDSIZ and MAXSSIZ have been reserved, so
    increasing MAXDSIZ reduces the amount of VM available
    to mmap().  Still, a 1 GB MAXDSIZ should not result in
    system utilities / servers running out of mmap() space!
    Userland has 3G of VM space to play with.

						-Matt

:...
:> Nuno Teixeira wrote:
:> >
:> >     Hello to all,
:> >
:> >     I'm about to build and install openoffice port and I build a new kernel
:> >     with the options bellow to be able to run openoffice:
:> >
:> >         options    MAXDSIZ=\"\(1024*1024*1024\)\"
:> >         options    MAXSSIZ=\"\(256*1024*1024\)\"
:>
:> Sure that you need a maximum of 1GB for the data segment and a maximum of
:> 256MB for the stack segment on a computer with 64MB RAM?
:>
:> What's with the default sizes?
:> --
:> L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
:...