Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 1996 09:48:27 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        urcf@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Rodney C. Forbes)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI info needed.

As Rodney C. Forbes wrote:

> 	1. What kind of problems would I be facing regarding using this SCSI
> 		controller/driver to run an all SCSI FreeBSD system?  If I

It will be as slow as your IDE solution.  However, you still get a
chance to upgrade to a better controller (and even a very old AHA1540
will do) without throwing away the other equipment.

> 		will need to buy a bus-mastering SCSI controller, I can, but I
> 		would rather not right at this moment.  Is there an update to
> 		this driver that would allow me to utilize it's DMA features?

Very unlikely.  There's too few interest, nobody of the ``classic''
hackers seems to have the hardware and/or time to do it.

Of course, you are welcome to imporove it. :)  You've got at least two
of the missing things, hardware and interest.  It looks that the guy
who wrote the driver started to think about DMA, but didn't finish it
ever.

--
cheers, J"org