Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 22:12:02 -0700
From:      George Chung <gchung@microsoft.com>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   on dual-homed machine, how to specify outgoing interface to send  multicast packets

Platform: FreeBSD 3.2 RELEASE, "default" kernel on a dual-homed box
Experience level: newbie

On a dual-homed machine, there is no "network" portion of the destination
Class D address to make any kind of determination as to which outgoing
interface to use.

So I make a call to

setsockopt(fd, IPPROTO_IP, IP_MULTICAST_IF, &inaddr, sizeof(struct
in_addr));

I confirm that this call works. Plus I doublechecked by giving it a bogus
inaddr, and it gave me errno 49 EADDRNOTAVAIL. However, when I try send a
packet to "225.0.0.1", I get errno 65 EHOSTUNREACH.

Please help! :-)