Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 20:16:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Steve Kehlet <kehlet@dt.wdc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3c90x vx0 driver

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Steve Kehlet wrote:

> I've been trying to get 10MB full-duplex to work on my 3com 3c905
> ethernet card, but have been getting sluggish response and lots of
> errors at the switch.  At half-duplex I have no problems.  It's
> irritating because it seems to work fine under NT ;-).  I'm running
> 2.2.1; I'd like to know if a later release might work better.
> Searching the mailing list archives is interesting (but mostly out
> of date) and gives me no clear answer.  Does anyone know?
>
> vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 10 on pci0:11
> mii[*mii*] address 00:60:97:c2:7f:b0
>
> daemon:/home/kehlet-> uname -a
> FreeBSD daemon 2.2-STABLE FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE #0: Tue Jun 10 11:25:52 PDT 1997     kehlet@daemon:/usr/src/sys/compile/DAEMON  i386
>
> In case it helps, I used the DOS util to set the card to "Max
> network perf", "full duplex", and "10 MB".  Also, I don't have the
> choice to use any other ethernet card since this is my computer at
> work.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Steve Kehlet

  AFAIK, the fxp driver is the only driver that supports full-duplex.

  The new de driver (only in current right now?), probably supports
full-duplex.

  Someone really needs to go over the vx driver and clean it up.

  You also might to want to look at the performance numbers on
www.intel.com in regards to fxp (Intel Etherexpress Pro100B) performance.
They have some links to some outside studies that were done.  The
FastEtherlink XL was the worst card tested!

Tom