Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 21:42:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@iquest.net
Subject:   Re: Here is what I promised :-)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Curious, are any of the core members interested in having John
> come back --- in particular I am interested in hearing from
> JKH and PKH

While I am sure, Amancio, that you mean only the best, I'm thinking that
what you're asking for is wrong-headed.  I don't think anyone would
argue that John Dyson, while he might get a little steamed once in a
while, was one of the cool heads around here, and just not given to
completely losing his cool.  By that, I mean to say that I don't think
he's leaving in a huff, or anything like that.  I doubt that he was
pleased by that recent copyright stupidity, but I don't think that was
his main motivation.

If you grant that, then you have to respect the fact that John's doing
what he says because he's given it a lot of thought and really thinks
it's for the best.  I wish like hell he wasn't going, but I respect his
choice to do things his own way.  If I thought he was doing it over a
spur-of-the-moment anger, I could get behind an emotional appeal, but
since I just don't believe that, I think this kind of thing is just
going to make him feel bad.  Let's NOT do that to him, it would just be
very selfish of us all.

We should just wish him the best, and be willing to have him back
sometime in the future, if that ever becomes possible.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).