Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:26:20 +0200
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On Wed, Nov 11, 1998 at 01:32:12PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Brought up old kernel without kludge.
> >
> > It appears that memory corruption leading to 'daemons dying' may take
> > different forms. E.g., once it appears that sendmail continues to
> > fork for queue runs successfully, but when I do 'telnet localhost 25',
> > it just accepts connection, forks, changes proctitle ('startup with ...'),
> > and goes into some strange state -- no EHLO, just accepts all I type
> > in telnet and that's all. In that state kill -1 restarts sendmail ok.
> > Other time I exhaust memory, sendmail segfaults every child forked
> > for queue run, again restarts ok on SIGHUP. Once I even got in responce
> > to 'telnet localhost 25':
> >
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.carrier.kiev.ua.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > archer... Recipient names must be specified
> >
> > As if I started sendmail without arguments on command prompt!
> >
> > I think it is ehough evidence that 'daemons dying' is caused by
> > memory corruption.
>
> Well, no, I had an alternative explanation: for me, this problem
> started with sendmail 8.9.  I think I even went back and tried
> sendmail 8.8.<mumble> and it didn't cause any problems.  It could be a
> bug in sendmail, possibly related to the config I'm using (it often
> refuses connections because it thinks some test on the domain name
> succeeds, when in fact it should have failed).

Oh, come on! Just installed 8.8.8 -- same stuff, dies on queue runs
and when accepting connection. And AFAIR the whole story had started
before 8.9 was released and merged to CURRENT.

And again, as I already wrote, I was able to make my specially written
test daemon to die in the same fassion. Should I mention that this
daemon does not make any DNS lookups?

Why people still try to pretend that this definitely kernel-related
problem may be explained by user-level bugs? Yes, inetd is buggy
(it was for ages), sendmail is buggy, etc. But on 2.x.x it seems
nobody ever saw anything similar.

And why Dima's kludge make it go away all at once?

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

---
I don't mind what Congress does, as long as they don't do it in the
streets and frighten the horses.
                -- Victor Hugo