Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:38:44 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        muc-lists-freebsd-ports@moderators.muc.de
Subject:   Re: Atlas compilation

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 08:48:56AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 03:05:20PM +0200, Toyotoshy wrote:
> > Hallo evrybody,
> > I'm just a newbie and I'm trying to compile /usr/ports/math/atlas
> > Compilation started 6 hours ago and:
> >=20
> > du /usr/ports/math/atlas
> > 360160  /usr/ports/math/atlas
> >=20
> > isn't it a bit too much time and space?
>=20
> No, it's an enormous port.  Depending on how slow your machine is, it
> may take days to build, or it could be as little as 24 hours.

Yes, not only does it do a lot of things, but since it is
Automatically Tuned Linear Algebra Software, it actually compiles
several versions of each function and runs microbenchmarks on them to
determine which one to use.  Ideally, you should build it when the
system is nearly idle to avoid perturbing the results.

-- Brooks

--=20

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--