Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 20:36:56 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Niklas Johannes Saers <niklass@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv/

Niklas Johannes Saers:
 |Hi. I'm using fxtv 0.47 with FreeBSD 3.0-BETA, and I was wondering...
 |
 |I've got a miro pctv-board and in windows I can finetune channels to get
 |it just right.  With fxtv,however, I can't seem to find such a
 |function. Is it available or is it hard to implement? You see, with fxtv
 |I can only get about half of the channels I can reach in right, whereas
 |with the finetuning I can get 'em all. Usuallywhen I change to a channel
 |which needs finetuning I can see a glimpse or so of the channel while
 |it's changing channels, but then it's gone and all I can get is the
 |sound. No picture at all. Any ideas? Thanks for you rhepl :)

There isn't a progressive fine tuning function right now (e.g. up/down .01
MHz).  However, if the frequencies your channels exist on are fairly
consistent (don't fluctuate oddly due to weather/conditions), you can set
the frequencies explicitly using a syntax like this (see channel PBS):

     Fxtv.antennaStationList: NBC(3) PBS(f716.69)

Wouldn't be hard to implement a progressive find tuning I don't think,
except (it's been a while) but I'm not sure whether if you set a channel on
the bktr driver via channel number whether you can turn around and query
the frequency (the channel<->frequency mappings are in the driver).

However, before you go to the trouble to find out what frequencies you
need, you might double-check that there isn't a channel set
already defined in the driver that maps to what you need.
These are set via the:

     Fxtv.antennaFreqSet:     nabcst
     Fxtv.cableFreqSet:       cableirc

resources.  Have you tried irccable, hrccable, and weurope?
Shot in the dark, but they might be what you need.

Randall