Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 1995 11:47:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.05R reboot hangs

> As Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> >
> > Hhhmm. I'm seeing this too with one of my systems:
> >
> > I type sync ; reboot and after saying 'rebooting' it just hangs.
>
> FYI, Rod, there's another report of this kind of things in Usenet
> right now.  I think it's also been an ASUS board, but perhaps you wish
> to jump in there yourself.

I have no easy access to usenet, nor the time to even wade in and
try and find this stuff in the massave volumes.  If you see people
having this hang problem with 2.0.5A or later could you please have
them try the ``BROKEN_KEYBOARD_RESET'' option, that has fixed about
50 to 75% of the reports I have seen.

The other 50 to 25% are the bear and I am trying to collect some data
on the failure (one case it fails both mechanisms and I have given
the person a third mechanism to try out, waiting to here back on
that one).

This problem has actually been around for a long time (machines that
would not detect a CPU shutdown cycle have always hung during the
reboot).  I don't know if I have made the problem worse or better
though with my keyboard reset, as that now seems to hang machines
that did not hang before.  Perhaps I should reverse the logic of
the #ifdef and only use the keyboard reset on machines that have
broken cpu shutdown detection.

Comments?