Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2014 13:57:10 +0000
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        Jay West <jwest@ezwind.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Small/Low Power Server Recommendation?

On 16/11/2014 02:33, Jay West wrote:

> Arthur wrote....
> I've been running an Alix 2d13 (an earlier board) with pfSense as my
> router/firewall for years now. Absolutely no problems, very little power
> consumption, I only have to think about it when there's a software upgrade.
> I can recommend their kit.
> -----------
> Nah, don't do it. I adore the Alix 2D13 board for lots of stuff.... but as a
> pfsense box it's days are gone. Everywhere around here... the default
> residential speed is 60 to 100mbps, and the Alix 2d13 can't keep up with
> that. Your connection (if you're in those ranges) will noticeably slow down.
> Instead, get the replacement that netgate has: identical enclosure, but
> based on the T40E board. That one can handle 100+mbps.

The poster I was replying to was asking about the PC Engine APU1 board.
I wasn't recommending the Alix board, I was merely remarking that I've
found PC Engines boards totally reliable and capable of running FBSD.

And I'm not sure where "around here" is for you, but I can think of
plenty of places around here where people get 10 mb/s if they're lucky. :-(