Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:06:00 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        glewis@eyesbeyond.com, mva@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to build "graphics/gd"

Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com> wrote:
> Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> > It is a problem with how the FreeBSD upgrade tools work and how
> > a port (read: application, library, whatever) manages its own
> > build.
> >
> > Usually a port, in case it links to one of its own components,
> > should do that by using the just built component in its build
> > directory. Some of them however do not do that but use the
> > complete system environment, thus it can happen that they link
> > to e.g. an older version of themselves or so, causing anything
> > to fail as you just noticed.
>
> In this case, the port was trying to link against the just built
> version of its shared library, it just also tries to link against
> some other libraries from other ports and puts -L/usr/local/lib
> earlier in the search path than the path to the newly built
> libgd.so so the linker picks up libgd.so from /usr/local/lib and
> uses that, hence the failure above.  I saw the same problem.
>
> So just a little variant on what you said.  Its trying to do the
> right thing but just getting the ordering wrong.

Might I suggest that one of you file a PR to get the port's library
search path fixed, if not already done?

To answer the earlier question of how to prevent this sort of
problem when installing, I think one way would be to deinstall
(making a backup package, to simplify recovery if the new version
does not work) before building the new version.